Friday, February 20, 2009

I Trust You

God will make a way. How many people truly believe that statement beyond a shadow of a doubt? Last week in Bible Study my Pastor asked us this question, “How much do we really trust God?” Do we really trust God with everything concerning us? As I looked back over my life, especially the last four years since I have been on a committed faith journey with the Father. Had I really trusted God with everything concerning me? I had to be honest with myself. I had not trusted the One who is able to work everything out for me according to His perfect will.

I bring this up because one of my best friends is going through an extremely hard time right now. We had a 3 in a half hour conversation the other day in which at some point, I got frustrated with her. I posed this question to her, “Can God do anything?” She responded yes but…it was in the “but” that I was most frustrated with. If you sincerely believe God can do anything then there are no buts. That night I had my Tuesday night Bible Study class and the lesson was on “praying powerfully”. I shared with the class my frustrating with my friend’s faith in God but it was the saints who reminded me of how little faith I had in God when I started on the journey with Him. As the teacher wrote the word intercessor on the board, I felt convicted in my spirit. You see an intercessor is one who prays or petition God on behalf of another. I had prayed for me friend on many occasions but in that moment God told me what to pray for on her behalf.

As for my frustrated with her…I remembered how little my faith was in the beginning of my walk with Christ. I did not do as Hebrews 4:16 instructed us to do, “Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Jesus the Savior said in Matthew 17:20, “if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." According to Wikipedia a mustard seed is about 2 mm in diameter. Just take a second to think about that…Jesus did not say we needed faith the size of the state of California or the continent of Africa to move the mountains in our lives but the size of a tiny mustard seed. How awesome is the Father?

So I took my frustrating with my friend’s faith to prayer, asking the Father to keep her during this stormy time in her life. God said in Matthew 11:30, “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." He even went further in 1 Peter 5:7 and said we can “cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” Jesus said in John 14:14, “You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” So, I also asked God to strengthen her in His Word because the Word of God brings life to a dying spirit. His Word is encouraging to those who are losing hope. His Word is encouraging to us who believe in Him to continue to fight the good fight knowing the One who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light (1 Peter 2:9c), is able to keep and sustain us through all things.

As for my Pastor’s question, “how much do you really trust God?” Over the last four years I have grown to trust God with everything concerning me and my family. I trust Him to heal and strengthen my grandmother who has breast cancer, I also trust Him to give my aunts, uncles and dad strength as they help their mom with the day to day activities of life she can no longer really do on her own. I trust God to heal my cousin from her illness. I trust God to heal my aunt of her illness. I call Him Jehovah Rapha which means the Lord that heals. Jesus said in Mark 11:24, “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” I believe they will be healed according to God’s will for their lives. I believe the book deal I have been searching for is coming. I believe the man God has for me is coming. I believe the restoration of my family is being worked out accord to God’s perfect plan. I believe God is working all things out for my God. I thank Him for the storms of life because it is in my storms that I have come to know Him best.

There is a song I love by James Fortune called “I Trust You”. The lyric are “so many painful thoughts travel through my mind and I wonder how I will make it through this time. but I trust you lord it’s not easy sometimes the pain in my life makes you seem far away but I’ll trust you I need to know you’re here through the tears and the pain through the heartache and rain. I’ll trust you! Everything that I see tells me not to believe but I’ll trust you lord you have never failed me my past still controls me will this hurt ever leave?
I can only trust you no one else like you do


God I trust You!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well whomever this friend is, I'm sure she'll come around. We all have had those rough patches in our life but the beauty of it is that it doesn't last forever.

Anonymous said...

LIfe can be frustrating sometimes, its great that you have chosen to express your trust in Him through this blog. Yes i am also learning to trust Him with all my heart, its never easy, all too often the devil will come and try to sow seeds of fear and doubt, circumstances will indicate the opposite of what i am trusting Him for or sometimes an overwhelming sense of hopelessness just washes over me when I think of the evilness and and Godlesness in our world. But I guess its all part of our journey of faith.