Thursday, June 11, 2009

Asking for Forgiveness (Psalm 51)

For this weeks blog I decide to post an excerpt from a book I am working on entitled “The Sheep in the Lion’s Den”. The prayer below is taking from Psalm 51 which is the Psalm King David wrote to God asking forgiveness for his sin. In this scripture King David owns up to his wrongdoing. He does not blame it on the devil but he tells God I have sinned.

The main character in The Sheep in the Lion’s Den has sinned and is now asking God for forgiveness. He is standing before His congregation but he is focused on his Master, the God of gods, the King of kings, the God of a second chance.

I stand here before you a broken and wounded sheep. One who by my own doing was lead to the slaughter but I am so thankfully this morning that the God I serve is a Redeemer. I stand here this morning in the need of forgiveness. In need of the Lord’s forgiveness, Father have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion Lord, blot out the transgressions of your sinful servant. Father, wash away all my iniquity and cleanse my mind, my body from all my sins. Lord, my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Oh, great Redeemer of a sinful man!!

I know my sin is against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. God so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. Lord, my soul knows the wages of sin are death but I still gave in to carnal thinking and allowed the enemy to lead me astray. But God I am here today and I stand in the presence of your glory God seeking and desiring truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost part of my soul and I know I will be okay for God from this moment on my hope is in you. Father renew my mind, transform my soul cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Father I long to hear joy and gladness again; oh God let the bones you have crushed rejoice once again. Lord, I asked that you hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. I am asking you creator of heaven and earth to create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Lord Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me because of my sinful nature. I ask you God of promise and hope to restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Father I have run for your call for far too long. I have allowed worldly influences to lead me astray but God I stand before You this morning a humbled and willing servant to teach transgressors your ways, and return your lost shepherd to you. Lord I asked that you would save me from bloodguilt, O God, For I know Lord that you are a Redeemer of men. I know You are God of all things, the One and only living God, I know You will save me, and Father I will not forgot to give you the praise and honor. Oh, Lord my tongue will sing of your righteousness. O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. Father, if I could offer a million fatty calves before your alter to please you I would but I know You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. In your good pleasure make Zion prosper; build up the walls of Jerusalem. Then there will be righteous sacrifices, whole burnt offerings to delight you; then bulls will be offered on your altar.


Confession is good for the soul!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that one ... keep on writing girl!

broken said...

Wonderful prayer, it's what I needed to say to the Lord today.