Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Power to Prosper: 21 Day Financial Fast_ Day 1

"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Isaiah 58:6

A couple of weeks ago I started working on my 5-year life plan. As I looked at the areas of my life I wanted to set goals for I felt pretty good about all but one. My finances!!! I am going to go ahead and admit I am horrible with money. I spend, spend and think about the cost later on. So, I looked at the financial section of my 5-year life plan and thought I would save that portion for last. But in the last week, my finances have been at the top of my discussions with God. I feel trapped in debt, mad at myself for making so many bad choices, and really unsure of how to rein in my spending. How do I break myself out of this poor money management system or the lack of any system?
It was a couple of months ago that I picked up Michelle Singletary book “The Power To Prosper: 21 Days to Financial Freedom”. I read the Acknowledgements and the introduction chapter then put it down and did not pick it back up until it was time to return it back to the library. I have made myself become accustom to be in the library to write at least four days a week. While I was in the back waiting for something, I found myself standing next to the books on finances and again there was Michelle Singletary’s book. I looked at it and it looked at me…then something within me told me to pick it up and try again. So, I picked the book up again. Thinking to myself am I really going to be able to complete a 21 day financial fast, in which, I purchase nothing but the bare essentials. Am I even capable of doing something like this?
Not sure if I am capable but the next 21 days will tell me if I am capable of not spending money on anything but the bare essentials. In the book Michelle Singletary suggested we keep a journey and this will be my journey…you guys already know all my business anyway…why not take this journey with me. She also has an assignment at the end of each reading for the next 21 days.

21 Days to Go: Breaking Bonds
Main Point: We need to be set free from the bondage spending holds on our lives.
My Pledge: For the next twenty-one days, I will be on a spending diet. I will not shop for anything except necessities. I will not use my credit card. I will limit or eliminate the use of my debit card. I will use cash for purchases I make during the fast. In this way, I will strive to break the chains that keep me from achieving financial freedom.
Daily Assignment: Make a list of any potential obstacles that may prevent you from sticking to the fast and then decide how to eliminate them. For example, instead of putting your credit cards in a drawer or file cabinet, freeze them. Yes, that’s what I said. Put the cards in the freezer. That’s what one person did so that she wouldn’t be tempted to use her cards. If you are a shopaholic, you may need to change your driving pattern so that you don’t go near your favorite shopping places.
Take this pledge and then sign your name on the line below:
“I promise to follow the 21-day financial fast so that I may put myself on the path of prosperity and financial freedom.”
Ryane Belynda Nickens
My List:
Food- I go to the gym five days a week in between the timeframe of 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. each day and then to the library. According to the trainer I need to eat at least 5 small meals a day, which means I stop at local sandwich shop or fast food store to pick something up for lunch. For the next 21 days I will pack a lunch and snacks to take with me and eat that instead of going to a restaurant.
I Need-I living under the assumption that I need everything that I purchase, when in reality I know I do not. I am praying for the Holy Spirit to lead me in making the right financial choices over the next 21 days and everyday after that.

So, the journey begins…wish me luck!!!

No comments: