Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Received the Perfect Gift

This past Sunday my Pastor preached from Luke 1:26-38 and he referred to Jesus as being a gift to us all. As I went back and read Luke 1: 26-38 which is title “The Birth of Jesus Foretold” and think about the Word God delivered through his servant Sunday, the words I continue to see and feel are hope, peace, joy and protection.

As many of you who follow this blog know it was doing the Christmas season fifteen years ago my family was devastated by tragedy. When this happened I did not feel hope, peace, joy, and there sure was no feeling of protection, I felt violated. But I do not want to focus this message on tragedies but rather on the perfect gift that God has given to all who would accept it.

I know many of you may be hurting for one reason or the other and trust me I wholeheartedly understand the pain you may be feeling right now. For many years the holidays were a struggle for me and I found no comfort in the perfect gift God has so freely given us all in Mary’s baby. But can you do something for me or better yet do it for yourself, please do not focus on your pain this Christmas season. Do not focus on whether or not you have the money to buy the kids anything or everything they want. Do not focus on the person who left you. Do not focus on the death of love ones. Do not focus on your finances.

Instead focus all your energy on Jesus Christ after all He is the reason for the season. If it were not for His birth there would be no Christmas. So, to those who are contemplating suicide, I challenge you to open the Bible up and Psalm 23, then read Luke 1:26-38, and then go to Romans 5:1-11.

To those of you who are missing a love one this season open your Bibles and read Psalm 23. It was in this Psalm that I received comfort and reassurance in the most difficult of times. It was reassuring to know “even as I walk through the valley of death and darkness God is right there to comfort me.” Let Jesus being your comfort this season and beyond. Do not focus on who is missing from your life but rejoice for to us a son was born and He is the Prince of peace.

I am reminder of what King David wrote in Psalm 27:13 “He remained confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.” As King David, I am confident in my Lord that all who are weary, all who are mourning, and all who are depressed, you will indeed see the good of the Lord in the land of the living. I stand as a living witness because “He turned my wailing into dancing; He removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy.” Psalm 30: 11

Halleijuh to the King of Kings!!!

Please do not focus on the pain in your life but focus on the hope, peace, joy and protection that is freely given to us in the form of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6

So this season receive your perfect gift, receive the Lord Jesus Christ. It is the gift that continues to give throughout your life. And remember what Jesus told the disciples before He returned to be with the Father in John 14:27, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Remember Jesus is the reason for the season. So instead of suffering during this season remember He came that we may have life and have it more abundantly.

Happy Jesus Day to you all!!! May God give you and your family the fruits of His Spirit which are love, peace, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control this holiday season and for the rest of your lives.

Please excuse any grammatical errors you encountered in this piece.

No comments: